Saturday, May 29, 2010

Garden

Did I mention that the large and splendid house I live in is set in the grounds of a large and splendid garden? No? Well, have a butchers.



Yes, that is a pine tree in my back garden.

This garden is making me very pleased. When we arrived it was distinctly jungle like, and hadn't been looked after for years I don't think. But bit by bit we've been tidying, clearing, digging it over, and planting stuff. Well - I say 'we'. Have to say the missus, and at one stage her mum (her mum came to visit. It was terrifying.) rather took the lead on a lot of it, and spent a couple of afternoons in particular uprooting vegetation furiously in insane yes-we're-descended-from-amazons stylee. See for example exhibit below, which went from something resembling this



to this



in the space of about 45 minutes. I can't compete, so I don't. ;-)

Anyway, the upshot is that we're growing stuff. It's all a bit haphazard - see below for my pride and joy, the tomato jungle, which I love despite being pretty sure that this isn't what they're supposed to look like. My ma did say that you have to either remove the tops, or the sides, but I can't remember which and too scared of removing any part that may actually squirt out tomatoes, so I'm just letting them do their thang, free range, and just keeping my fingers crossed something useful will result.



But I'm very excited nonetheless. It's also amazing what a bit of turkish sun will do for your apparent gardening skills - we didn't do any of the faffing about with compost and potting and stuff which I remember my parents doing, just bung the seed in the ground, wait around for a few weeks, and lo and behold up it springs. (Or in any case, up *something* springs. Some of what I've been watering could well be weeds - I have no idea what most of these plants are supposed to look like, so I'm playing a sort of long-term guessing game as to whether we're going to spend summer mornings breakfasting on freshly picked homegrown parsley, or, yanno, thistles.)

Anyway, it's all very pleasant. I seem to have run out of useful garden photos though (I imagine there will be more if anything recognisably vegetable-like occurs) so I'm going to finish with an off-topic one from the nicer end of the island. Quaint score, lots.

3 comments:

  1. Nicola! I too have cleared a giant jungle to the ground and have been planting vegetables. It appears to be actually satisfying. What on earth has happened to us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What

    ON EARTH

    has happened. Ha! See what you done there!

    What vegetables? I would tell you mine, but as before mentioned, I'm not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to say that dreadful pun was intentional, but alas, it was not.

    Right! Ok. There are already raspberries and strawberries from last year, and only just over half had died from neglect, so I consider that a SCORE.

    Planted: Green beans, cauliflower, tomatoes, squash, courgettes, spinach, chillies, peppers, and a load of herbs and shizzles. Whether any of these actually sprout, however, remains to be seen.

    I demand to know a comprehensive list of what arrives in yours as soon as you know.

    I am most jealous of your excessively bushy tomatoes, though (this may be a euphemism).

    ReplyDelete